Corrections to the blogosphere, the consensus, and the world

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

We were lied to

On the way to work I stepped on a banana skin. Despite its use as a comic trope, I found it utterly unslippery - ever so slightly gluelike, if anything. Were previous generations of bananas different? Has there been a genetically engineered change to reduce public trauma hazards? Or was it never true, with Chaplin having to grease his banana skins with lard?

See Wikipedia:
The depiction of a person slipping on a banana peel has been a staple of physical comedy for generations. An 1898 comedy recording features a popular character of the time, "Cal Stewart", claiming to describe his own such incident, saying:[38]

Now I don't think much of the man that throws a banana peelin' on the sidewalk, and I don't think much of the banana peel that throws a man on the sidewalk neither ... my foot hit the bananer peelin' and I went up in the air, and I come down ker-plunk, jist as I was pickin' myself up a little boy come runnin' across the street ... he says, "Oh mister, won't you please do that agin? My little brother didn't see you do it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It has been suggested (by Chris Samuels) that bananas are in fact different these days - and wikipedia does say "The Cavendish gained popularity in the 1950s after the previously mass produced cultivar, Gros Michel, became commercially unviable due to Panama disease, a fungus which attacks the roots of the banana plant."
Where would one find details of the frictional index of the Gros Michel?

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Followers

Total Pageviews