Corrections to the blogosphere, the consensus, and the world

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

We were lied to

On the way to work I stepped on a banana skin. Despite its use as a comic trope, I found it utterly unslippery - ever so slightly gluelike, if anything. Were previous generations of bananas different? Has there been a genetically engineered change to reduce public trauma hazards? Or was it never true, with Chaplin having to grease his banana skins with lard?

See Wikipedia:
The depiction of a person slipping on a banana peel has been a staple of physical comedy for generations. An 1898 comedy recording features a popular character of the time, "Cal Stewart", claiming to describe his own such incident, saying:[38]

Now I don't think much of the man that throws a banana peelin' on the sidewalk, and I don't think much of the banana peel that throws a man on the sidewalk neither ... my foot hit the bananer peelin' and I went up in the air, and I come down ker-plunk, jist as I was pickin' myself up a little boy come runnin' across the street ... he says, "Oh mister, won't you please do that agin? My little brother didn't see you do it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It has been suggested (by Chris Samuels) that bananas are in fact different these days - and wikipedia does say "The Cavendish gained popularity in the 1950s after the previously mass produced cultivar, Gros Michel, became commercially unviable due to Panama disease, a fungus which attacks the roots of the banana plant."
Where would one find details of the frictional index of the Gros Michel?

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Followers

Follow by Email

There was an error in this gadget

Total Pageviews